Saturday, September 29, 2007

my birthday "pancit" (noodles)


birthday noodles, originally uploaded by organic baker.

*note: my laptop had issues and never woke up again... between school's prep and opening, cuppies and webster, i'm finally able to update this site. thanks for the patience everyone!"

here goes the obligatory noodles for my birthday. it is believed that eating noodles for your birthday will bring long life, so between my birthday noodles, all of my mom's aunts earlobes and the fortune from my fortune cookie, it is estimated that i will until i'm about five hundred and two!

dan requested for pancit first week of september. oddly enough his biological clock probably prompted him for noodles. i like using vermicelli noodles the best and did it the way my mom makes it (or at least close to it). then again, my mom's the best in cooking so until dan taste's my mom's pancit, this will have to do.

wash the vermicelli noodles in hot water til about pliable. boil half a wok of water/broth with soy sauce and ground pepper then add the noodles until cooked. julienne all vegetables (whatever you fancy). with a very hot wok, flash saute onions, garlic, carrots and green beans. cover and cook for about a minute. add about a cup of broth, bring to a boil then add your mushrooms and shredded cabbage, cover for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Now combine the sauteed vegetables and vermicelli, add green onions and chinese parsley. Serve with a wedge of lemon. Invite family and friends over. Don't forget the rice cakes, bbq, and mango, ube and rocky road ice cream! Now that's what i call an authentic pinoy birthday party!

Tip: Never EVER cover the cooked noodles with vegetables while still hot. Again, I repeat... never!

No comments: